Sunday, April 04, 2010

Random Reviews and Contest

Hah, we're having a bit of a Contest Party;D!
As I have been very remiss with posting reviews, I've decided to give you some of the titles I've recently read and enjoyed with a short and sweet review.
Here are some TEEN titles:

Un Lun Dun by Chine Mieville

I LOVE this book! It is one of the most imaginative books I have ever read. China has created a world with such incredible detail and the word games he plays throughout the story are just fabulous.

Great characters, great stories and fighting rubbish bins (Binja)! What more could you ask for?;D
This is the US cover and you can find some info on China here.



Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

This debut by New Zealand author Karen Healey is FANTASTIC! She manges to mix Maori legends with ancient myths and well developed characters, taking you on a rollercoaster ride you won't foreget very quickly.

I am looking forward to her next book and her website is here.




The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

This is the third instalment in the 'Darkest Powers' series, where Chloe and her freinds finally have to find out what kind of genetic manipulation they've been put through and who is behind it. Fast-paced action, great characters and twist and turns that make your head spin. Wonderful!
Kelley also writes the 'Women of Otherworld' series for adults and her website is here.




Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Sophie is a witch, but her random spellcasting keeps getting her into trouble until finally her estranged father, who she's never met, punishes her by sending her to Hex Hall. Surrounded by witches, werewolves, sorcerers and one vampire, Sophie is supposed to learn how to control her spells. Exactly!;)

Action, adventure, plenty of teen angst and rivalry as well as good looking sorcerers who may not be what Sophie thinks they are, make this a great read.

Rachel's website is here.

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Absolutely Amazing!
Bloodthirsty monster Unicorns (yes, the pink and sparkly horse with the horn every little girl adores) and a group of virgins, destined to hunt and kill them.

The charcters are great, you feel with them and hope they can find a solution to the problems they have to face and the author deftly deals with sensitive subjects.

Diana's website is here.


Moving on to a couple of ADULT books:

Changeless by Gail Carriger
OMG, I have been waiting for this book since finishing SOULLESS. And it is as good if not better than the first book.

Gail Carriger makes you laugh, bite you nails and scream at the book (I'll explain the last one in a second).

The imagination and worldbuilding is fantastic, the characters are hilarious and some of the dialogue had me in absolute stiches. If you enjoy steampunk action and witty dialougue that makes you laugh out loud, this series is for you.

I screamed at the book, because CHANGELESS leaves you with such a cliffhanger I wanted to throw it out of the window. I cannot wait for BLAMELESS coming in Sepetember.

Gail's website is here.


Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

I am sure I don't have to say much about this FANTASTIC series. This is book 5 in the Mercedes Thompson shifter series and it totally lived up to all my expectations.

Well written characters, great action sequences and me reading through the night because I could not put the book down.

Patricia's website is here.


CONTEST

I have a proof copy of 'Guardian of the Dead' and 'Hex Hall' do give away.

1) All you have to do is comment below and tell me what Teen and adult books you've read recently that you really enjoyed.
2) The deadline is Friday 9th April 2010 at midnight my time, which is Estern Time and I will announce the winner on Saturday.
3) The contest is open worldwide.
4) I will pick two winners randomly and ask the first to chose the book he/she would like. Once I have the mailing address, I'll send them out. However, I will not chase either winner. You will have a week to respond and then I will draw a new winner.

6 comments:

I ♥ Book Gossip said...

Please count me in.

I have recently started reading Before I Fall by Carrie Ryan and AM SO loving it. YA is so different, it deals with all diff. kinds of issues.

cindyc725 at gmail dot com

Jessy said...

I just finished Before I Fall and I loved it. I kept thinking about it days after I finished it.

Tina said...

Great, thanks Ladies! I really need to check out 'Before I Fall';D!

Erotic Horizon said...

Can I toss my hat into the ring for Guardian Of The Dead... New to me author

Thanks for the contest...

P.S. - Your deadline date is off by a month...

E.H>

Erotic Horizon said...

Hey I forgot to mention the book I am reading now...

I read a few YA a year - I just read the Skulldugery Pleasant series - Derek Landy..

And adult - I just re-read Juliet Marillier - Heart's Blood, absolutely stunning read..

E.H>

Tina said...

Of course you can join!

Thanks for the comment about the date. I've fixed it;).