Wednesday, November 09, 2011

The Monster's Corner- Breeding the Demons by Nate Kenyon



As I mentioned in my previous review , there were two standout stories for me in this anthology and Breeding the Demons is the second of these.

BtD snared me from the opening and immediately made me want to know what Ian was up to and I was quickly drawn into the dark, sordid thing that had become become his life. I was impressed with the economy with which Nate outlined the underworld that Ian had become part of while still keeping the character likeable despite his monstrous tendencies. He manages a fine balance that teases out enough of the background so that the mythology of the demons rings true while still keeping enough back that you can't pigeonhole them, which really adds to the atmosphere- like an old school horror where you never actually see the tormentor.

Wonderfully creepy!

You can find out more about Nate's work here.

No comments: