Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Cold Kiss Extract and pre-view review - John Rector


I picked up a copy of Cold Kiss by John Rector during my S&S visit last month. I read it in one sitting and I am DYING DYING to tell you guys about it, but as it isn't out for a long old while yet, I can only point you to this extract from Ally over at S&S and to urge you to pre-order a copy on Amazon to read as soon as it comes out.

So, pop by here to get that extract.

But, before you do, here's an extract of email I sent to Ally, which will give you a glimpse of my enthusiasm for this imaginative thriller:

I really lost myself in it whilst reading it – I kept telling Mark about it. It will make an excellent movie, too, I think. I really hope he does well! It reads really easily and the suspense is insane! I am deathly jealous that he can pull it off with such apparent ease!

Need I say more? Yes, okay: you know you're reading a good book when you talk back at the main characters, mainly berating them for being too nice, too trusting, not listening to their inner voice. This is such a book. Rector literally teases you along and within minutes you have this heavy dark feeling inside you - it's called premonition - and you just know things are going to go pearshaped but you aren't entirely sure HOW it's going to play out. And boy, he does a good job stringing us along and with each twist and turn you just want to throw that book across the room and shout at the characters but you don't, because it will mean that you don't finish it...and you have to know what happens...and how it happens.

And that's all I'm saying on that.

No comments: