After much consideration, punctuated by several cups of tea and gnawed nails, I’ve chosen these (in no particular order- trying to rank them would have given me a nosebleed) as my favourite books for 2009:-
1. The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks.
2. The First Law Trilogy – Joe Abercrombie.
3. Empire & Heldenhammer – Graham McNeill.
4. The Garbage Man - Joseph D' Lacey.
5. Biohell – Andy Remic.
6. The Enemy – Charlie Higson.
7. Skarlet – Thomas Emson.
8. The Grey Knights Omnibus - Ben Counter.
9. Nights of Villjamur – Mark Charan Newton.
10. The Hunger Games & Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins.
11. The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss.
Ok, yes, there are 11 (technically 17, but I’ve counted series / trilogies as one as, where possible, I read these back to back) rather than the traditional 10 or 12, but it works for me.
These 11 dragged me into their respective worlds hook, line and sinker- they’re the books I happily devoured rather than read. I’m a simple creature when it comes to fiction- I want to be entertained, and I want the story to engage me on an emotional level- I want to rage, cheer and weep. I want to be exhausted -sated- when I reach The End.
These guys delivered the goods and left me wanting more.