Monday, December 06, 2010

The Bookette's British Book Challenge

MFB has never yet taken part in a reading challenge of any sort.  2011 will be different.

We've decided to sign up for The Bookette's British Books Challenge.  And I'm totally stoked.  I am a big fan of books - I don't care who they are written by as long as they are good and fun and tell a good story.  But the one thing we've noticed these past few years is that we're getting a lot of US books bought in and you know what, Britain is so small, we really do need to support our home-grown talent.

So this challenge is all about that - we'll still be reading books from all over the world, but we want to highlight some Brit titles - be it picture books, kids, YA and adult, across all genres on the blog so we're throwing our weight behind Becky's initiative and we're signing up for the British Book Challenge.



The Bookette mentioned this when we were at Walker together a few weeks ago and I remember thinking: a lot of work, it sounds cool...but we'll see.  And I have seen and I am smitten.  I reckon we can EASILY read 50 Brit books on MFB in 2011.

What books am I thinking of right now - just off the top of my head:

  • Rockaholic by CJ Skuse - contemporary YA 
  • The Midnight Mayor and The Neon Court by Kate Griffin - adult urban fantasy 
  • Shadows of the Moon by Zoe Marriott - fantasy for YA readers 
  • Skulduggery Pleasant series - Derek Landy - crimey horrory novels for younger readers 
  • Awakening by SJ Bolton - crime thriller for adults 
  • Being Billy by Phil Earle - contemporary YA 
  • Tyme's End by BR Collins - contemporary YA horror 
  • The Iron Witch by Kaz Mahoney - urban fantasy for YA readers 

And then there are the older books I've owned for a long time that I'd really like to tackle.  But bear in mind, these titles are just books from me, personally.  I've not even asked Sarah, Mark or Gav for their imput.  I reckon it's going to be a cracking and fun challenge.

Pop by Becky's site and check out further info on the British Books Challenge and consider joining.  It's open internationally too, which is pretty darn cool.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE! Hee hee. Thanks so much for signing up Liz and fellow MFBers. Of course you can read 50 books. No trouble. Piece of cake. LOL.

I feel so warm and fuzzy right now. Best of luck for the challenge. I look forward to reading the reviews of the books that you have been waiting to read for ages.

Essjay said...

Oh, I'm totally in :-) This is a brilliant idea!